Shuttle Discovery Launch Possible On 4th – Video Space News - AeroSpace News - #AeroSpaceNews Shuttle Discovery Launch Possible On 4th – Video Space News - AeroSpace News - #AeroSpaceNews
Pages Menu
Categories Menu

Posted in Space News

Shuttle Discovery Launch Possible On 4th – Video Space News

The July 4th launch of the Space Shuttle Discovery is still a "go" while concern lingers over a piece of foam that fell from the orbiter's external tank after the two prior attempts were scrubbed at the Kennedy Space Center.

Space Shuttle Video News

Click To View NASA Space Shuttle Video News Story

Please Note: A new window will open.

Discovery's a "Go" for Independence Day
After analysis of available data, the Mission Management Team has given a "go" for Tuesday's launch of Space Shuttle Discovery to the International Space Station.

During a routine inspection overnight after the draining of the external fuel tank, a crack was discovered in the foam near a bracket that holds the liquid oxygen feedline in place. It is believed that the rain experienced during yesterday's launch attempt caused water to run down the feedline and form ice near the top of the strut next to the feedline bracket. As the tank warmed and expanded, the ice that formed most likely pinched the foam on the top of the strut, causing a crack and eventual loss of the small piece of foam. The Mission Management Team met Monday at 6:30 p.m. EDT to discuss the results of the infomation before making a final decision regarding Tuesday's launch attempt.

Currently, there is a 60 percent chance of favorable launch weather for tomorrow and a 40 percent chance of favorable weather for Wednesday according to Air Force First Lt. Kaleb Nordgren of the 45th Weather Squadron. If the weather cooperates this will be the first Independence Day launch of a space shuttle.

Do you enjoy aviation videos? Have you heard about the V-22 Osprey tiltrotor? We have an exclusive one hour video that reveals the inside secrets of V-22 and its revolutionary technology. You can either order it on DVD or buy an annual subscription for only $19.95 and the download edition is included for free! When you purchase your subscription you can be watching your V-22 Osprey video right away.

To see a free preview of the V-22 video, click here.

Looking to buy a used airplane? Be sure to check out our new airplanes for sale section.

Please support with a paid subscription.

It is also very important for you to please fill out our readership survey if you have not already done so. Please take a moment right now. Click here to fill out the survey.

Thank you!

Be sure to check out our cool Pilot Watches and Breitling Watches.


Support Our Work. Keep Us In Flight.

Independent publishers like depend on readers like you to help us soar. If you enjoyed your visit please become a member of our crew by supporting us with a contribution. Visit and contribute any amount you can afford. Every bit helps. Thanks!

If your business or brand would like to sponsor our aviation podcast, website or videos please visit and select one of our affordable options. Thanks!

Another way you can support us if you prefer to purchase something specific is to get us some gear from our wishlist (a new window will open):

We invite the photographers, videographers and filmmakers in our audience who’d like to have their work featured on our website, YouTube channel and Instagram account to get in touch. In case you haven’t heard we have a new program for some who are selected to get paid as well, so be sure to check that out!

There are instructions on our website at